I think one of the main goals I have in life is to be interesting. There’s this sticky note on my end table that says “be more awe-inspiring today”.
It’s been there for a while now, and I glance at it every now and then and it reminds me to be, well, awe-inspiring.
I guess “interesting” and “awe-inspiring” are cousins.
I just want to lead a well-lived life. That’s what it’s all about for me.
About a week ago, a beautiful blue-eyed boy asked me the following question: “What did you do today?” My brief, uninteresting answer consisted mostly of: “nothing much”.
What did you do today?
This question has stuck with me. I might be adding another sticky note to my table soon.
What did you do today?
What did you do today? Anything interesting? Anything awe-inspiring? Anything that will help lead your life to where you want it to go?
Anything at all?
My term “interesting” can be as general or as specific as you want it to be.
“Interesting” can be going scuba-diving with chinese dolphins, or buying a new brand of toothpaste.
I like to group “interesting” in with “awe-inspiring”, though. That’s just me.
So, how to be an interesting person:
1. Read. Old books, new books. The news. Your Twitter feed. Blogs written by intelligent people. Just read!
2. Watch movies. Classics. Crappy horror flicks. RomComs. Foreign films with subtitles.
3. Travel. Go camping in the middle of the woods. Go to Las Vegas. Go to the beach. Go to a crowded shopping mall. Fly in an airplane. Take a train across the country.
4. Talk. Meet new people. Talk to the old lady in the grocery store. That coworker you’ve never spoken to. The waitress. The person next to you on the subway. Your mom.
5. Write. Write things down. On actual paper. Put the time, date, and location on everything. Be one of those people who carry around a notebook.
6. Take Photographs. All the time. Everywhere you go! Feel free to upload them all using various filters on Instagram. (follow me! @ohnewfree)
This is my list so far! I’m sure it will grow with time, just like my sticky note collection. All I know is that I’d like to do something interesting at least once a day, just in case that blue-eyed boy asks me: “What did you do today?” again some time. I’d also like to be able to answer that question for myself.